Bound leather sword handles

Back when I was first joining Drentha in 2010, I would make leather handles by wrapping them with a long strip. This looked okay, but took a lot of leather (that also wasn’t always easy to get in a correctly-shaped scrap). Now that I have a bit more experience, my methods have improved, and I […]

Project Post: Ilsa’s Fitted Fighting Cotehardie

Hello, folks! It’s Ilsa, here, and I’m going to show off a tunic I sewed this fall. I’m bored with the basic gored tunic (makes sense, after sewing literally hundreds of them, right?), so I decided to explore some later-medieval silhouettes. First up, I tackled my own fantasy version of the 14th century cotehardie. It’s fun, fitted, […]

Early Anglo-Saxon Tunic

Last year I posted about my desire to go back to basics in my garb, to make simple garments whose details were exactingly, carefully researched to be as appropriate for my historical sixth-century English persona as I could achieve. I concluded that I should pay more attention to fabric, to color, and to weave, and […]

Anglo-Viking Shield

This is a repost of an entry I wrote six years ago that has now vanished into the depths of the internet. I’m reposting it because I’m still very happy with how this shield — which I used for many years — turned out. — I first tried my hand Plastidipping a shield two years […]

Forging an early Anglo-Saxon knife

Over the holiday weekend, I decided to test my new soup can propane forge. I chose to make a simple everyday-carry knife for my sixth-century Anglo-Saxon persona. For the blade, I decided to recycle an old triangular file that I found at a flee market for 50¢. Most early Anglo-Saxon knives were made from wrought […]

Forging a spearhead — part 3

Today, I fit a shaft to the spearhead I made in November. I blogged about hafting a spearhead 6 months ago and found it to be very difficult. I tried a different method this time, and the results were better. Last time, I carved the shaft to fit the socket, and getting a solid fit was […]